Tuesday, May 15, 2012

How to Make A Hall Tree from a Shutter and Bench

I love shutters!!!
Here's a really fun, quick and easy DIY project!
Take an old shutter...
...and a bench, piano stool, etc.
 (It's best to use one with a width close to the width of the shutter.)
 Here you go!!!!!
Paint, cover the stool, and attach 
the base to the shutter by drilling
long wood screws from the back through the legs.
Add some coat hooks.
You've got yourself a hall tree!!
Here's what I did:
First I painted the shutter and base of the stool in
ASCP Old White/Old Ochre mix.
Then I distress sanded/waxed.
I used an irish linen towel to cover the seat top, 
after I added more batting to make it cushier.
 I added some random coat hooks to the top part of the shutter.
(These were brass; I painted them as well...
that's why I LOVE ASCP!!! Instant antique!)
And I had just picked up this carved wood detail at a thrift shop recently.....
So why not a deer (or some woodsy animal) motif?  
I painted this in ASCP Aubusson Blue, 
over which I dry brushed Old Ochre, then waxed/distressed.  
I attached it to the top of the shutter. 
Here it is for sale in my booth.
Unless it's gone already!


Here's one from Better Homes & Gardens where they put the shutter
on the side, and attached brackets and a shelf.

This one's just a shutter with hangers 

Did I say I love shutters?


No comments:

Post a Comment