Tuesday, May 8, 2012

China Hutch Makeover

Wow........What a productive week I have had!
All last week, I killed myself worked on 
an amazing kitchen transformation 
in Lynchburg, VA, 
for clients, Linda and Jimmy. 
They went to the beach.
I went to their kitchen.

BUT... before I reveal the entire kitchen makeover, and because, 
well, I'm still brain dead from lack of sleep 
and can't bear to edit 200 photographs, 
I thought I would tease you with just this one bit of the makeover.

It's this china hutch that belonged to Jimmy's mother. 
 It was in the adjoining dining room just to the
left of the cabinetry next to the fridge, 
which I knew would be painted in white.  

I was concerned that next to all this white, 
this would look like a dark hole..
So I buzzed up Linda on the beach 
and asked if they would be open to my painting it. 
And the answer was......YES! 
I love Linda.;)

 The hutch has wonderful art nouveau details in the panels..........
and lots of great trim and rosettes.
 First I painted everything other than the panels in 
Annie Sloan Chalk Paint (ASCP) in Cream.
 Then I used ASCP in Old White for the detail in the panels and on the trim.
 I lined the back and all the shelves with a vinyl medallion wallpaper.
This really brightens up the interior and will
also protect all the glass and china. 
I painted the trim and edges inside.
 Then I very lightly dry-brushed the panels and drawer front 
with a bit of Sherwin Wms Trade Wind, 
one of the colors I'm using in the kitchen.
I sanded and then waxed it with clear and dark waxes 
to bring out all the beautiful details and color variations.
Here's a close up of the top.
Above the hutch I hung a little shelf I painted,
and I then filled it and the hutch with 
all of Linda's beautiful cut glass and china, and family pieces.
(And an occasional snowman...)
 Here's how it looks up next to the finished painted cabinets.........
(just a little peek at the kitchen redo!!)
I love how you can see all the beautiful pieces inside now.
In fact, this might just be my favorite part of the entire makeover.
Or my second favorite....

You'll just have to wait and see which part is your favorite!

Here's one last preview of the BEFORE kitchen photo.........

Until the final reveal is posted, 
sweet dreams!


No comments:

Post a Comment