Thursday, May 10, 2012

A bright new kitchen is revealed!

Without further ado, 
here is the Lynchburg kitchen makeover
I completed this past week.
BEFORE: Linda and Jimmy's kitchen.
The cabinets are dark, have dated hardware and are in need of refinishing.
Here's the window above the sink.
The kitchen has an adjoining dining room...
...that shares this counter. 
(Dining room reveal tomorrow.)
Between the two rooms is a dark beam,
with an assortment of pots, pans, baskets hanging.
On the other wall is the fridge with a bank of floor to ceiling cabinets.
To the left of the stove, is the entrance from the family room.
This wall is lavender with a wallpaper border around the top.
 
This is what the kitchen looked like when I arrived.
New countertops were supposed to be installed,
but there was a scheduling snafu.
SO.... please keep this in mind when you see the makeover photos!!
We picked out a countertop similar to this, 
that will have a 4 inch backsplash along the walls.
And so, the work begins......
Guess what was the very first thing I did?
Yep...goodbye wooden apron
and  florescent light fixture.
Next, I removed all the cabinet doors.
 Then I installed beadboard between the top and lower cabinets,
leaving space for the backsplash. I also installed beadboard
to cover the space above the window.
Here's what it looked like after everything was primed.
Amazing how open it looks already...especially that beam.
 
And here is the kitchen, all complete
(except for the countertops that will match the beadboard.)

All the upper cabinets were painted in BM White Dove.
All the old hinges/pulls were replaced with new satin nickel ones.

The lower cabinets were painted in a soft blue, SW Trade Wind.


I used the same blue to paint the fan blades...

...and the little alcove above the sink,
where I installed this beautiful bubble glass pendant light.

What an improvement!  I added hooks, etc, for more function.

On the wall to the left of the stove, I extended the beadboard up high,
and added a narrow display shelf.
All the beadboard and the walls were painted in SW Softer Tan.
I moved in this piece from the dining room.
It provides much more storage and is perfect for a microwave cart.
Above this, I hung a white metal shelf with hooks, 
where I hung all of Linda's copper ware.
So much better here than hanging between the kitchen
and dining room!
Above that, is the little display shelf. 
Accessorizing with wooden pieces helps marry the trim of the
doorway that was left unpainted.
So much better.  


Here's the bank of cabinets alongside the fridge.
They actually blend together now.
Some fun accessorizing....
I hung a few little box shelves for display.
Why not add a snowman?
(This is for you, Linda!)
But my very favorite part of this makeover?

The pendant light against the blue!
The bubble glass is the same as the globes in the ceiling fan.
Okay, I know I'm partial, but 
this kitchen is now THE BOMB!
I can't wait to see it without the green countertops!

And tomorrow, I'll show you how I spruced up
the adjoining dining room.









No comments:

Post a Comment